Chicken Chowder Recipe – Quick, Yummy and Easy
I am making the post of the last few weeks of winter! There are so many yummy recipes that are just perfect for the colder weather so I am giving them one last hurrah before the heat hits us. Here’s a great one for soup lovers. You can serve it with a crusty loaf of bread. And to make it a little easier for the little ones to handle, you can serve it on top of mashed potato, rice or risoni pasta.
- 30g butter
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 375g button mushrooms, halved
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups milk
- 1kg cooked chicken, skin removed and flesh shredded
- 3 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, add leeks and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until leeks are soft and golden. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in flour and chilli powder and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in stock and continue stirring until mixture is smooth. Add water and milk, bring to simmering and simmer, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, chives and black pepper to taste and cook for 3 minutes or until soup is heated through.