Milk Chocolate and Walnut Tart – Recipe and Super Food Ideas Giveaway!
Milk Chocolate and Walnut Tart
Recipe: Michelle Noerianto
Prep 30 minutes (plus 30 minutes refrigeration)
Cook 27 minutes
1/3 cup caster sugar
1¾ cups plain flour
190g butter, chilled, chopped
1 tablespoon chilled water
2½ cups walnuts, toasted
½ x 200g block milk chocolate, chopped
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
double cream and icing sugar mixture, to serve
1. Reserve 2 teaspoons caster sugar. Place flour, 125g butter and remaining caster sugar in a food processor. Process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add 1 egg. Pulse to combine. Gradually add chilled water and pulse until dough just comes together and forms a ball, adding extra water if necessary. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Press together to form a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Roll pastry out on a lightly floured surface until 3mm thick (30cm round). Line a 3cm-deep, 24cm (base) round loose-based fluted flan tin with pastry. Trim excess. Re-roll excess pastry. Cut into a 9cm x 24cm rectangle. Cut lengthways into nine 1cm-wide strips.
3. Place walnuts on a baking tray. Bake for 3 to 4 minutes or until toasted. Set aside to cool. Place chocolate in a glass or ceramic heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water. Cook, stirring occasionally with a metal spoon, for 2 to 3 minutes or until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Place walnuts, brown sugar and remaining butter in a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add vanilla, melted chocolate and remaining eggs. Pulse to combine. Spread walnut mixture into pastry case. Smooth top.
5. Arrange pastry strips in a lattice pattern over pie. Sprinkle lattice with reserved sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Dust with icing sugar mixture and serve with double cream.
Super Food Ideas is on the search for Australia’s Best Pie. Enter your recipe and you could WIN $10,000! Get the May issue for all the details and go to www.taste.com.au/bestpie2012 to enter!
Entries close 15th May, so best get cookin’!
To get your creative juices flowing, I have three copies of the May issue of Super Food Ideas to send out to three readers! All you need to do is comment below with your favourite pie – savoury or sweet!
How do you win??
- LIKE Mummy Smiles Facebook page HERE
- Comment below with your favourite pie recipe. I don’t mind if it’s savoury or sweet – I love ‘em all!
- Entry is open to Australian and residents only
- One entry per person
- Entries will close at midnight (Brisbane time) – Wednesday 25th April, 2012.
- Winners will be chosen at random using random.org and will be announced on the blog. I will email the winner and if I do not receive a response within 48 hours, I will re-draw.