How to Make the Most of The Toy Sales (& a $50 Target Giveaway)
*** This giveaway has now closed. Congratulations to the winner Renae H! ***
It’s that time of year again! The Toy Catalogues are everywhere, and the prices are so tempting. With so so so so many toys on the market, it’s easy to get carried away by the excitement of all the sales.
I have such fabulous memories of my Mum and I sitting down over a coffee, the catalogues scattered over the table, and a black marker in our hand! It was fun to circle this, arrow that, and write little names underneath!
Now a few years later, I am far more selective in my toy choices. I still love looking through all the catalogues but I keep many things in mind when looking. So these are some of my tips to help you make the most of the Toy Sales!
- Look for good quality. Great quality toys will not only stand the test of time, but they are actually safer for your children. Plastics that are brittle may break easily causing sharp edges, toys that fall apart may have small pieces that can be a choking hazard, and wood may be coated with paint that has lead in it. Spend a few extra dollars on better quality and you can avoid all these worries.
- Think about whether the toy has multiple purposes. Single use toys can get boring very quickly. Multi-use toys stimulate the imagination and can become a “new” toy every day.
- If you have children of different ages, try to find toys that can be used across different age brackets. They may not play with it in the same way, but if they can all play with it somehow then that is a big win.
- Don’t be fooled into believing bigger is better. I know how impressive a HUGE present looks when it’s all wrapped up, but big toys are hard to store and often use up valuable space in bedrooms or playrooms. Think about whether you have room to store that HUGE toy.
- Consider buying a toy that can be added to over the years. Train sets and doll houses are perfect examples of this. If you invest in an excellent quality set, and then spread the collection over the years, you will have a beautiful collection that will more than likely be able to be passed on to your children’s children.
- Don’t forget outdoor play! We are so blessed with beautiful weather in Australia – make the most of it. There are lots of great activities that can be set up outside, and of course the cubby or swing set is always a popular choice for Christmas presents.
- Our children learn many things through play. There are lots of educational toys which will improve your child’s vocabulary, hand-eye co-ordination, fine and gross motor skills, maths and spatial awareness. Learning is NOT boring! Jigsaws are one of my favourite educational toys, and also one of the most popular in our house.
- Think very carefully about buying something with lots of little pieces. Especially if losing just one piece will ruin the game. Have a plan about how to store it together. Board Games are a great example of this – so get the kids in the habit of cleaning up carefully after each play.
- Soft toys are very cute and are great for imaginative play or for giving snuggles when comfort is needed. But how many does one house need? Maybe consider donating one to charity each time a new one comes into your home.
- Craft and consumable toys make great gifts. You can’t have too many so it doesn’t matter if they double up. They are great for rainy days or after school activities.
- And my final tip – DECLUTTER! Before you hit the sales do a quick audit of what you already have: what gets played with, what gets neglected. Sell or pass on to friends or charity any toys that can be re-homed. Throw out anything that is broken, missing essential pieces, or is not in re-homeable condition. You can then get a better idea of what toys will be most used and appreciated by your children.
I was rather chuffed to be invited to attend the Target Toy Sale Event as a VIP guest last night. Of course I couldn’t do it on my own – I needed back-up! So Maddy came along to help me find some of the best picks from the sales this year. Check out my Instagram feed to see all of what we got up to!
Have I inspired you to hit the sales? How would you like a $50 Gift Voucher from Target to get you started! Just follow the details below and you could be all set for some fantastic shopping! You have until midnight Brisbane time, Tuesday 26th June, to enter. Australian residents only.