3000 Likers And One Online Auction for Good!
I was thrilled to have the 3000th person join the Mummy Smiles Facebook community last weekend!
It’s been such a fantastic experience to be part of a group of women (and a few men!) who have made a conscious effort to embrace joy in their life, to appreciate the every day things, and to show support and kindness to other Mama’s – because really, no matter what we’re going through, we can be sure that we are never alone. And that is the beauty of being part of something that is bigger than each of us – there is always a friendly word, a hand held out to support, or a shoulder to cry on. There are also High-5s to share the joy, a smile to share the giggles, and the inevitable rainbow after the rain.
I want to thank you for making this whole blogging/Facebook thing a WHOLE LOTTA fun!
To celebrate this milestone, I have some giveaways lined up that I am sure will make you smile! There are so many brands that have supported this blog, and I am grateful to be able to share these giveaways with you – more of that to come later!
What I have been thinking about over the last couple of weeks is how we can celebrate in a way that reflects us – about who we are and what we stand for. Last year I launched the Smile It Forward project which through our combined efforts has seen some amazing donations and generosity to help a Women’s and Children’s Domestic Violence Shelter, and the production of a calendar which was supported by 12 amazing sponsors and contributed much needed funds and exposure for the children’s charity, A Start in Life.
There are so many causes, so many people who need help. I know that we all do what we can, and it’s impossible to help everyone. I am committed to and am passionate about supporting women and children who are escaping domestic violence. Why?
- Domestic Violence is an abuse of power. It includes physical violence, damage to property, non-consensual sexual contact, financial control, emotional manipulation and abuse, or threats to commit any of the above.
- Domestic violence is the main cause of homelessness of women and children
- We do not have enough shelters or safe houses for victims of DV. There are wait lists for safe accomododation. This means that mothers often have to choose between homelessness or staying in a violent relationship.
- Domestic violence does not discriminate. It happens to men and women, old and young, rich or poor, educated or un-educated. I can guarantee that you know someone who has experienced domestic violence. I can almost guarantee you that you won’t know this about them because they are so ashamed of being in that situation.
- Women often leave in the middle of the night, with nothing but the clothes on their back. They risk everything, walk away with nothing, and clutching just a sliver of hope of a new life for their children – free from violence.
So this is our chance to help. And I want to make it as easy (and FUN) for you as possible! Here’s the goal:
I will supply a Domestic Violence Refuge with:
30 Smile Packs for Women containing: Toiletry bag, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser, brush, tissues.
30 Smiley Kids Packs containing: Backpack, pencil case, crayons or pencils, exercise book, colouring book, story book, soft toy.
Do you know a brand or business that will be able to supply 30 of any of these items? My goal is to have the whole lot donated!
Big ask? Of course! Achievable? You betcha!
But wait – there’s more!! There will be a H-UGE online auction hosted on the Mummy Smiles Facebook page. I am seeking donations from businesses and Work-at-Home-Mums which will be auctioned over the weekend of 21-22 July. There have already been items promised which I am SO grateful for, so keep an eye out on Facebook as I update the album with photos of these awesome items!!
I am asking for MORE items that can be bid on at auction! If you are a business and have something that you would like to donate, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send you more information (what a FANTASTIC opportunity to put YOUR brand in front of 3000 awesome women (and a few men!)). I need you to help me spread the word on this. Let’s see if we can make this a success! Every single dollar raised will be donated to a network of Domestic Violence shelters throughout SE Qld.
Your contributions will help provide:
- Evacuations of women and children from a critical incident to safety during the night.
- Emergency accommodation in a secure location
- Crisis counselling and support from professional counsellors 24hrs a day
- Emergency food and toiletries for families who are forced to leave their homes in crisis
- The costs of caring for pets for families in refuges